Skip Navigation

This table is used for column layout.

Link to Home Page
Town Resources
Quick Links

Motor Vehicle Excise Abatements

If you have sold, traded, donated or totaled a car, you may be entitled to an abatement on the excise bill for that vehicle.

In order for this office to process an excise abatement, the office must be provided with an excise abatement application and two pieces of documentation.

The two pieces of documentation must detail:

1) What happened to the license plates registered to the vehicle for which you are seeking an ~abatement?

  • Transferred to new vehicle
  • Returned to the Registry of Motor Vehicles - - Plate Return Receipt
  • Lost plates - - Lost Plate Affidavit
2) What happened to the vehicle for which you were originally billed?

  • Private sale of the vehicle -- Bill of Sale
  • Vehicle was traded in -- Purchase and Sale Agreement of New Vehicle
  • Vehicle was donated -- Donation Documentation
  • Vehicle was deemed a total loss -- Documentation from Insurance Agency

Cancellation of insurance does not entitle one to an abatement. The owner must no longer have possession of the vehicle.

If any you have any questions or concerns that are not addressed above, please give the office a call so that we can assist you.

Photo of Wayland
Town of Wayland    41 Cochituate Road, Wayland, MA 01778-2614    Tel: (508) 358-7701    FAX: (508) 358-3627
Website Disclaimer & Privacy Policy        Virtual Towns & Schools Website