On April 25, 2011, the Board of Selectmen voted to establish a standing committee to be known as the Permanent Municipal Building Committee (PMBC). The Committee shall be comprised of five (5) members who shall be appointed by and serve at the pleasure of the Board of Selectmen for terms of two (2) years, said appointments to be based on professional or vocational expertise with preference given to citizens possessing experience in any one of the following areas: structural or civil engineering; project management; construction law; building design and construction;
or design and installation of heating, ventilation and cooling systems.
The Public Buildings Director shall serve as an ex officio member of the PMBC without right of vote.
The PMBC shall review the capital maintenance plan prepared and recommended by the Public Buildings Director and report annually, to the Board of Selectmen and Finance Committee, on the status of Town buildings and to the School Committee and Finance Committee, on the status of school buildings.
The Board of Selectmen for municipal building projects and the School Committee for school building projects, may assign the following duties and responsibilities on municipal or school building projects assigned to it:
- work with architectural firm(s) on project design issues including structural, building systems, landscaping, and interior design;
- authorize and oversee the preparation of architectural drawings, development of building construction or renovation specifications, completion of professional services and administration of building project(s);
- approve design and construction expenditures pursuant to project construction and change orders;
- recommend to the Board of Selectmen, for its approval, contracts with architects, engineers, electronic consultant, building contractors, and others in the name of and on behalf of the Town of Wayland with respect to the design and construction of the project(s), said contracts to be executed by the Town Administrator; and,
- exercise such other powers as are necessary with respect to the construction of a municipal or school building project(s).
In executing its responsibilities on municipal or school building projects assigned to it, the PMBC will be increased by two (2) members chosen based on interest and expertise related to the program and use of the public building project appointed by:
- the Board of Selectmen for a municipal building project related to a public service under the jurisdiction of the Board of Selectmen, provided that Selectmen may seek recommendations for appointments from an appointed committee of cognizance before making such appointments;
- jointly by the Board of Selectmen and an elected board of cognizance for municipal building projects; and,
- the School Committee for school building projects.
Appointments shall be made for a term ending with the completion of the project as determined by the Board of Selectmen for municipal building projects or the School Committee for school building projects.