Skip Navigation

This table is used for column layout.

Link to Home Page
Town Resources
Quick Links

Wetlands Information and Downloadable Forms
*Please note: When submitting an application (NOI/RDA/Chapter 193) we now require THREE hard copies submitted to the Conservation Department and an electronic version submitted to

Obtaining a Wetlands Permit
The Conservation Commission is responsible for reviewing and permitting all work (construction, cutting, grading, or new landscaping) in or near wetlands, ponds, and rivers in the Town of Wayland under Massachusetts Wetlands Protection Act (310 CMR 10) and its implementing Regulations. The Town of Wayland also has a local wetlands bylaw and a Stormwater Management Policy.

Hearing Schedule and Filing Deadlines
Any activity proposed within 100 feet of wetland resource areas (wetlands, ponds, or intermittent streams) or 200 feet from perennial (year-round) streams must be reviewed by the Conservation Commission. The General Information Guide describes more about the protective zones around ponds, streams and other wetland resources areas in Wayland. If you are planning a project that involves grading, filling, cutting, or building near a wetland resource area and have questions about which permit you should apply for, please contact the Conservation Department at 508-358-3669.
Request For Determination of Applicability
This Application is for minor projects effecting a small portion of the Buffer Zones that will have no impact on the Wetland Resource Area. It is the simplest and least expensive permit application procedure, one most homeowners can fill out on their own. An RDA results in a Determination of Applicability. Please review the Instructions for Filing an RDA for town-specific requirements.
Notice of Intent (NOI)
This Application is for projects involving significant work in the buffer zone or any work in a Wetland Resource Area. An NOI is a more detailed permit application that requires professionally engineered plans and results in a permit called an Order of Conditions (OOC). Please review the Instructions to file for an NOI and the checklist for town specific requirements.
Abutter Notification
Applicants filing a Notice of Intent or a Chapter 194 Application must notify all abutters (any landowner within 100 feet of the property line) by certified mail or Certificate of Mailing at least five business days prior to the scheduled hearing date. View a Request for Certified Abutters List (NOI) and Request for Certified Abutters List (Chp. 194). The Conservation Office or the Assessor's Office can provide assitance in obtaining a certified abutter's list.

Filing Fees
The Town of Wayland has separate filing fees along with state filing fee.

Recording Information
An Order of Conditions must be recorded at the Middlesex Registry of Deeds in Cambridge, or for registered land in the Land Court, no earlier than 10 business days after the issuance of the Order of Conditions by the Conservation Commission along with proof that no appeal of the Order of Conditions has been filed. The Registry fee for recording or registering shall be paid by the owner or applicant. Proof of recording this original Order of Conditions must be brought back to the Conservation Commission before the applicant may apply for a Building Permit or commence work on the site.
The Conservation Commission is responsible for all matters delegated by Massachusetts General Law and the Town Bylaws. Most importantly, it has jurisdictional authority under the MA Wetlands Protection Act and Wetlands Protection Bylaw to review and permit projects within 100-feet of a wetland and 200-feet of a perennial stream. For more information on wetland permitting please see the links below.

Closing Out a Permit
To close out a permit, you must submit a Request for Certificate of Compliance. Upon receipt and recording of a Certificate of Compliance signed by the Conservation Commission, the cloud on your title will be released.

Other Wetland Related Bylaws and Permits
The Conservation Department has a Stormwater Management and Land Disturbance Bylaw and Tree Cutting Permit that fall within the Conservation Commission's jurisdiction:

Photo of Wayland
Town of Wayland    41 Cochituate Road, Wayland, MA 01778-2614    Tel: (508) 358-7701    FAX: (508) 358-3627
Website Disclaimer & Privacy Policy        Virtual Towns & Schools Website