The Fire Prevention division of the Wayland Fire Department is responsible for the coordination of all code compliance, and plan and technical review activities for our department.
Firefighter/Inspector Dan Spurling leads our efforts in fire prevention and code enforcement activities. Inspector Spurling, together with Chief Houghton perform all technical inspections and plan reviews for new construction and renovations.
Inspector Spurling works closely with the Building Commissioner to jointly enforce fire protection regulations. Dan is a certified Fire Inspector and has undergone hours of training in basic and advanced fire code enforcement and interpretation through the Massachusetts Department of Fire Services and the State Fire Marshal’s office.
All of our Firefighters and Officers perform basic code enforcement activities in addition to their fire suppression, rescue and emergency medical service duties. Some of the various fire prevention and code enforcement activities of our department include:
- Inspection of residential smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms
- Quarterly inspections of all commercial business and public buildings
- Quarterly fire drills and fire inspections of all public and private schools.
- Quarterly inspections and fire safety reviews of all nursing homes and assisted living facilities.
- Inspection of all work relevant to the storage of fuel oil, gasoline and other flammable and combustible liquids.
- Review of all plans for commercial or residential construction or renovation.
- Review and approval of all fire protection systems, including, fire sprinklers and fire detection, as well as, fixed and portable fire suppression systems.