Racial Justice Advisory Committee to the Town Administrator
Subsequent to the killing of George Floyd in May 2020, as well as too many other Black lives unnecessarily extinguished over the years, ongoing demonstrations in Wayland have been organized to protest racial injustice and inequity throughout our country. Our community is not immune from issues involving racism as recent heartbreaking posts on social media have brought examples of such injustice closer to home.
In an effort to provide a Town-wide forum for the Wayland community to convene and engage in education and dialogue around issues involving race, equity, and racial justice, the Town Administrator will assemble an advisory group comprised of up to eight (8) Wayland residents who will, under the direction of the Town Administrator, assemble for the purpose of discharging the following tasks.
Community Conversations on Race
- Gather information from surrounding communities to determine different models for convening Town-wide forums focused on issues around race, equity, and racial justice;
- Draft a set of recommendations indicating which two or three models would most appropriately meet the needs of the Wayland community;
- Assist the Town Administrator with the presentation of the set of recommendations to the Board of Selectmen at a public meeting; and
- Subsequent to approval of a particular model, work with the Town Administrator as the lead body in organizing the initial community event.
Exploring the Concept of a Human Rights Committee
- Gather information from surrounding communities to determine different models for setting up a Human Rights Committee; and
- Work with the Town Administrator to draft a set of recommendations indicating i) if a Human Rights Committee would serve a necessary and beneficial role in Wayland, and if so, ii) what appropriate model for a Human Rights Committee would best serve Wayland’s needs.
All those interested please contact the Town Administrator, Louise Miller, email@example.com with a brief introduction and statement of interest in the committee with the subject line: Racial Justice Advisory Committee