Do’s and Don’ts of Sharps Disposal
- Do keep sharps containers
closed between uses and out of
reach of children and pets.
container at the Wayland Transfer
- Don’t bring loose needles or
- Don’t put sharps containers, loose needles or lancets in your recycling bin, garbage or down the toilet.
Information for Wayland businesses & residents of other communities
- Sharps from businesses will not be accepted at the drop-off location.
- Businesses should contract with a sharps disposal company, visit
- For a list of sharps disposal locations in other MA communities, visit:
DPW (508) 358-3672
Health Department (508) 358-3617
Town of Wayland
Department of Public Works
Safe Sharp Disposal
How to Safely Dispose of Household Sharps in Wayland
What are household sharps?
Needles and lancets used at home to inject medicine into people
Why is household sharps disposal important?
Properly disposing of sharps helps keep potentially
harmful products out of the waste stream.
A new state law takes effect July 1, 2012 that prohibits
people from disposing of needles and lancets in the trash.
How do I store used sharps until disposal?
- Place sharps in an approved, rigid, puncture-resistant, shatter-proof sharps container. Containers can be obtained at the Wayland Transfer Station or purchased at your local pharmacy.
- Use the container until it is nearly full and then tightly close
- Reinforce the lid with tape so sharps won’t spill out.
- There is no time limit for keeping containers. It is best to nearly
fill them to make this program cost effective.
Where do I take my household sharps?
ONE DROP OFF LOCATION:
WAYLAND RESIDENTS ONLY
Wayland Transfer Station
448 Boston Post Road
Wayland, MA 01778
Tuesdays 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Thursdays 7:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Saturdays 7:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
When you arrive at the Transfer Station, let a staff member know you want to drop off sharps. The staff person will assist you.
For everyone’s safety, sharps will not be accepted unless they are in an approved sharps container.