Annual Town Meeting has been postponed from April 5, 2020 to a future date to be determined.
To better predict the number of voting handsets required at Wayland’s upcoming September Town Meeting, the Electronic Voting Implementation Sub-committee has setup an anonymous online survey. Please answer the questions posed at this URL:
Your participation will help reduce cost, and allow us to provide a more efficient and orderly town meeting experience. Thanks!
Letter from The Town Moderator and Chair of the Board of Selectmen
We wanted to provide residents with the most recent update regarding the status of our Annual Town Meeting. While initially scheduled for early April, the Annual Town Meeting has now been postponed until at least the end of June. However, it is likely that the Meeting will be delayed further. We are confident that there will eventually be an Annual Town Meeting where the business of the Town may be debated and decided, it will just not be in the typical spring time frame this year.
As with so many other facets of our lives during this unique time, this continuing extension is due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The means by which the town meeting has been extended is a provision of the Massachusetts General Laws that allows the moderator, after consultation with the selectmen as well as public health and safety officials, to make a determination that holding a meeting would create an unusual risk to public health emergency. This unique authority exists during the continuation of the state of emergency declared by the Governor. The declarations of the moderator may be for terms of no more than 30 days and can be renewed until the moderator determines that adequate precautions are in place to hold the meeting in a reasonably safe manner.
Precisely when the moderator along with the boards and authorities involved can determine that a meeting with uncurtailed attendance allowing for Wayland’s vigorous debate and sufficient safety precautions in place, is not certain. It could well be sometime in the early fall. Until then, the town will be able to operate on 1/12 estimated budgets each month as currently allowed by the Massachusetts Department of Revenue.
The Moderator and the Board of Selectmen discussed the possible scenarios, a host of logistical issues, and the timing of approving certain articles at the Board’s meeting on May 27th. As with so much in this unusual time, events are developing sometimes daily, and there are few definitive answers. Eventually, a meeting will be held, a budget adopted and other matters in the original Warrant considered.
The Board of Selectmen acting with the Town Administrator and Moderator will keep the town informed through the normal channels of communication as to any new developments and determinations.
Thank you for your patience and understanding. Should there be any questions, please feel free to contact either one of us.
Very Truly yours,
Dennis J. Berry, Moderator
Cherry C. Karlson, Chair, Board of Selectmen
2020 Annual Town Meeting was scheduled to begin on Sunday afternoon April 5, 2020 at 1:00 pm in the Wayland High School Field House, but has been postponed.
- See the Notice to All Residents 2020 Annual Town Meeting Postponed
- April 2, 2020 at 2:00 pm, the Town Moderator, Dennis J, Berry, signed a Declaration of Recess and Continuance of April 5, 2020 Annual Town Meeting. The Board of Selectmen voted its support of this Declaration at its March 16, 2020 meeting.
- Due to the public health and safety risks posed by the COVID-19 virus and the Governor’s Stay-At-Home order and prohibition on gatherings of more than 10 people, the Town Moderator declared a recess and continuance of Town Meeting until a date certain, as allowed by state law.
- State law allows for up to a 30-day continuance from the date of the Declaration; therefore, the Town Moderator moved the meeting date to April 30, 2020, and then again to May 29, 2020.
- April 30, 2020 at 9:00 am, the Town Moderator, Dennis J, Berry, in consultation with the Board of Selectmen, signed a First Amendment and Renewal Declaration of Recess and Continuance of 2020 Annual Town Meeting
- May 28, 2020, at 2:00pm, the Town Moderator, Dennis J Berry, in consultation with the Board of Selectmen, signed a Second Amendment to the Town of Wayland Declaration of Recess and Continuance of April 5, 2020 Annual Town Meeting until June 28, 2020 at 7:00 pm.
- June 26, 2020, at 8:00am, the Town Moderator, Dennis J Berry, in consultation with the Board of Selectmen, signed a Third Amendment to the Town of Wayland Declaration of Recess and Continuance of April 5, 2020 Annual Town Meeting until July 28, 2020 at 7:00 pm.
- July 27, 2020 at 9:15am, the Town Moderator, Dennis J Berry, in consultation with the Board of Selectmen, signed a Fourth Amendment to the Town of Wayland Declaration of Recess and Continuance of April 5, 2020 Annual Town Meeting until August 28, 2020 at 7:00 pm.