The Conservation Commission is responsible for reviewing and permitting all work (construction, cutting, grading, or new landscaping) proposed within 100 feet of wetland resource areas (wetlands, ponds, or intermittent streams) or 200 feet from perennial (year-round) streams in the Town of Wayland under Massachusetts Wetlands Protection Act (310 CMR 10) and its implementing Regulations. The Town of Wayland also has a local wetlands bylaw and a Stormwater Management Policy.

General Information Guide/FAQ

*Please note: When submitting an application (NOI/RDA/Chapter 193) we now require TWO hard copies be submitted to the Conservation Department and an electronic version submitted to Linda Hansen (

Taking down trees?

    Stormwater and Land Disturbance Bylaw: Chapter 193:

    Please visit our Stormwater and Land Disturbance Page.

    Request for Determination of Applicability:

    This Application is for minor projects affecting a small portion of the Buffer Zones that will have no impact on the Wetland Resource Area. It is the simplest and least expensive permit application procedure, one most homeowners can fill out on their own.  An RDA results in a Determination of Applicability. 

    Notice of Intent (NOI):

    This Application is for projects involving significant work in the buffer zone or any work in a Wetland Resource Area. An NOI is a more detailed permit application that requires professionally engineered plans and results in a permit called an Order of Conditions (OOC)

    Chapter 194 Bylaw:

    This Application is the Town of Wayland's local bylaw, which provides a greater degree of protection of wetlands, buffer zones, and related water resources, than the protection of these resource areas provided under the Wetlands Protection Act.

    The following forms should accompany all wetland filings (NOI and RDA):

    Abutter Notification:

    Applicants filing a Notice of Intent or a Chapter 194 Application must notify all abutters (any landowner within 100 feet of the property line) by certified mail or Certificate of Mailing at least five business days prior to the scheduled hearing date.The Conservation Office or the Assessor's Office can provide assistance in obtaining a certified abutters' list.

    Closing Out a Permit:

    To close out a permit, you must submit a Request for Certificate of Compliance. Upon receipt and recording of a Certificate of Compliance signed by the Conservation Commission, the cloud on your title will be released.

    Filing Fees:

    The Town of Wayland has separate filing fees along with state filing fee.

    Recording Information:

    An Order of Conditions must be recorded at the Middlesex Registry of Deeds in Cambridge, or for registered land in the Land Court, no earlier than 10 business days after the issuance of the Order of Conditions by the Conservation Commission along with proof that no appeal of the Order of Conditions has been filed. The Registry fee for recording or registering shall be paid by the owner or applicant. Proof of recording this original Order of Conditions must be brought back to the Conservation Commission before the applicant may apply for a Building Permit or commence work on the site.

    Hearing Schedule and Filing Deadlines:

    If you are planning a project that involves grading, filling, cutting, or building near a wetland resource area and have questions about which permit you should apply for, please contact the Conservation Department at (508) 358-3669.

      Additional Documents: